Launch of the RADAR SeriesTopic: “The Risk and challenges of COVID-19 vaccine rollout. What is the role of Corporate Uganda?”
The RADAR Series provides useful information, ideas and insights to CEs, consequently adding value to them on a monthly basis. The RADAR Series will be an exclusive platform where captains of business and industry will learn from, learn with and learn through other business leaders; creating an engine for peer-to-peer learning.
The event took place on April 29, 2021 from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm at Kampala Serena Hotel
Prof. Allan Katwalo
Moderator: He is the Dean, school of Business and Applied Technology
Speaker: He is the Chief Executive, Cipla Quality Chemical Industries
Speaker: He is the Research Fellow, Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC) Uganda.
Dr. David Okello
Speaker: He is the Director of NCDs & Healthy Aging program, African Center or Global Health and Social Transformation (ACHEST)
Speaker: He is the Monitoring & Evaluation Expert, SDG Secretariat, Office of the Prime Minister
He is the General Manager, Finance, Centenary Bank
Key points that were discussed
- Everyone is a scientist now and people are making research from time to time. The doctors have started quoting journalist.
- The world is going to develop faster because information moves faster.
- Allocation: There is competition in vaccine allocation between the rich countries and Africa.
- Rumors for the possible side effects of the vaccine has forced a few people from taking the vaccines.
Dr. David Okello
- Vaccination is on-going but the uptake is extremely low. There is no reason to be afraid, it is time for facts not fear.
- The media has a role to encourage people to take the vaccine.
- There is online learning, do we therefore have skilled employable workforce since the education in Uganda has been class based?
- Let’s identify people with innovations and support them to grow.
- The corporate sector should help the government in the manufacturing of the vaccine.
- Corporate Uganda can support delivering of vaccine before it expires.
- Corporate Uganda must ensure that all its workers are vaccinated to encourage others to be vaccinated.
- Corporations should provide workers with time to get vaccinated.